Council Meeting 07 June 2013

Fri, 2013-06-07 19:50 - 20:57

Council minutes Thursday 06 June 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Present: El Presidente, Josh Stewart, Francois Marier, Kathy Reid

Apology: Hugh Blemings, Bianca Gibson and Clinton Roy

Meeting opened 1950hrs

Quorum was achieved

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata

MOVE that the minutes from 23 May are correct

MOTION by El Presidente that minutes from 23 May are correct, SECONDED by Josh Stewart, passed 3 votes, 1 abstention (Francois who was an apology at last meeting)

2. Log of correspondence

Membership - In the period since last meeting 23 May, there have been 2 applications for membership of LA. These have all been approved. Membership stands at 2942 according to MemberDB.

UTBOX Invoice received 01 June appears overdue - is any further action required?
Received further email 7 June.
ACTION: El Presidente to follow up with John Ferlito to understand sponsorship arrangement and determine whether to keep it in place. General feeling that it’s not required.

Community feedback regarding sponsorship of AUIGF from PAUL SZYNDLER at AUDA
General discussion around what we want to do here. El Presidente in favour of focussing on helping regional, rural and other under-represented cohort, and allowing administration to be undertaken by AUIGF. Suggestion that we should seek a report from delegates after the forum. Suggestion of around $2000 budget.
MOTION by El Presidente that Linux Australia sponsor AUIGF to $2000 for the purpose of encouraging attendance by under-represented cohorts such as rural, regional, female and delegates from a culturally and linguistically diverse background, with the understanding that AUIGF would administer this process with input from Linux Australia around delegate selection. SECONDED by Francois. Carried unanimously
ACTION: El Presidente to respond to Paul to make arrangements

Feedback from LUGs regarding Subcommittee spiel on websites
Feedback went to El Presidente. No further action at this time.

Letter requesting support for EFA CITIZENS NOT SUSPECTS campaign from JON LAWRENCE of ELECTRONIC FRONTIER AUSTRALIA
Discussion around how the money would be spent - and generally it would go towards a campaign manager and advertising and lobbying costs. Discussion around needing support of membership base to officially support the campaign. The campaign is likely to be lengthy.
ACTION: Kathy to send to membership for discussion
ACTION: Kathy to keep JON LAWRENCE informed / in the loop on this

Email of website copy changes suggested by ALASTAIR IRVINE
ACTION: Kathy to update the website and thank Alastair for his attention to detail

Notification of LCA2015 Bid Auckland from CHERIE ELLIS
Council noted this with thanks
ACTION: El Presidente to send email to everyone who expressed an interest to do a follow up and seek and update on progress

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before meeting)
ACTION: El Presidente to follow up to make sure Open Food Web got a VM to put their website on

ACTION: Someone to follow up with Peter and Donna as to what’s in storage and the necessity of keeping it to make a decision around storage

4. Items for discussion

a. Aus Government open document format
http://agimo.gov.au/2013/05/28/views-sought-on-annual-review-of-the-common-operating-environment-policy/

El Presidente has had conversations with EFA around this. General agreement we should draft a letter in collaboration with EFA supporting mandating of open document formats to AGIMO.
ACTION: Josh Stewart to work on this one.

b. GovHack judging

No further action, many thanks to Clinton Roy
ACTION: Congratulatory tweets to be sent by Kathy

c. Responses to call for participation and followup required
Webteam - needs attention
ACTION: El Presidente to follow up Webteam

d. LCA2014 update
Going well, CfP has gone out

e. LCA2015 bid process update
See action item above

f. Pycon AU update
Going well, sold more than 2012

g. Shaun Nyquist travel request
Awaiting advice from Clinton
ACTION: Josh to shoot an email to Clinton

h. Media subcommittee and Newsletter update
Discussion around how to keep momentum with Media Subcommittee
ACTION: Call for articles for Winter newsletter to go out from Kathy

i. Drupal South

j. Drupal Gov

k. Joomla Day Sydney

ACTION: El Presidente to chase Joomla Day Sydney folks

l. WordCamp Melb wrap up

Awaiting feedback from Dee

m. Software Freedom Conservancy’s accounting software campaign (Josh’s proposal was 1.3K -- 3.5 years of Xero licensing fees)
MOTION by Francois that Linux Australia donate $1300 to the Software Freedom Conservancy accounting software campaign, SECONDED by El Presidente, 1 against motion (Josh Stewart), 1 abstention (Kathy Reid). Motion is carried according to Linux Australia constitution.
ACTION: Francois to identify a way forward to action the donation

5. Items for noting

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/ - 135 days to go until Software Freedom Day

6. Other business

Three additional items were discussed in camera but cannot be made public for reasons of privacy and confidentiality

Meeting closed 2057hrs