Council Meeting 22 October 2013

Tue, 2013-10-22 19:50 - 20:50

Council Minutes Tuesday 22nd October 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Meeting opened 19:50hrs

Present

Ms Kathy Reid, Ms Bianca Gibson, Mr Josh Stewart, Mr Clinton Roy, Mr
Francois Marier

Apologies

Mr Hugh Blemings, Mr Josh Hesketh

Quorum achieved.

KATHY disconnected at 20:50 to allow discussion of LCA2015

Meeting closed 21:05

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata.

MOTION that Minutes of 8th October are complete and correct raised by
Bianca, SECONDED by Clinton. passed unanimously.

2. Log of correspondence

*

In the period since 8 October, 16 additional members have joined
Linux Australia. Membership now stands at 3016 according to MemberDB.

*

UPDATE received from KATHY REID on the progress of the Linux
Australia Member Survey 2013. Further to this a draft survey was
sent to Council by ADAM ZAMMIT of ACSPRI for review. Kathy has sent
an interim update to linux-aus.
KATHY REID raised the question of whether to proceed with the survey
as currently drafted. Council have agreed to provide feedback on
list by Oct 26th
ACTION: Council to provide feedback on list by October 26th.

*

UPDATE received from BEN DECHRAI on the progress of StixCampGembrook
and financial arrangements for this event.
For information only no, action required at this time.

*

FEEDBACK received from the general community regarding the GRANT
application received from CHRIS NEUGEBAUER on behalf of the Pycon-AU
organisation team for LA to become a Sponsor of Pycon-US in order to
fund Australian and NZ Python developers who may not otherwise have
a chance to attend in the amount of $3500 USD.
Council discussed this item and require further clarification.
ACTION: Bianca to seek CLARIFICATION from Chris regarding how the
funds are to be distributed (ie fully funding 1 person or partially
funding multiple people?)
ACTION: FRANCOIS to check available budget for this

*

FEEDBACK received from the general community regarding pricing of
LCA2014 for Concession Card holders, unemployed, students etc.
Council discussed this and determined that a formal position for
pricing for these cohorts to be developed for LCA2015 onwards.
Council recommends that a clarification comment be added to the
website for LCA2014 requesting people contact the Organising Team if
there are concerns regarding prices.
ACTION: Clinton to contact LCA2014 to make that recommendation

*

REQUEST from SHANE COUGHLAN from the OPEN INNOVATION NETWORK for
Linux Australia to become a signatory to the non-aggression patent
pledge
Discussion around whether or not there is value in LA participating
in the OIN. Further discussion to be had and a decision made on this
in the next meeting.
ACTION:Clinton to forward some LWN links on the OIN to the committee
for background reading.
Decision DEFERRED until next meeting.

*

2014 Regional Delegates Program.
Discussion around the effort versus value of this Program.
Discussion around whether we could find a volunteer to run the
Program, given the capacity of Council is limited. DECISION that we
should defer renaming the Program until we know are going to run it
again.
UPDATE: Bianca to contact the past volunteers to see if anyone is
interested in running it again.
BIANCA has contacted these volunteers and two people have stepped
forward to run with this (Michael Still and Kylie Willison).
ACTION: FRANCOIS to check budget for the amount LA can provide for
this. Previously the amount had been $10k, however given the chosen
2014 conference (linux.conf.au 2014) is in Perth, it was raised that
continuing with this amount would result in less sponsored delegates.
Decision on sponsorship DEFERRED until budget position is better known.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before
meeting)

Enquiry from SASCHA GROß regarding UEFI secure boot
ACTION: Hugh to follow up with John Ferlito and identify next actions
UPDATE: HUGH not in attendance. Followup on council list

ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up with PAUL SZYNDLER of auDA to identify
current progress and any actions required. LA has not yet paid them the
agreed sponsorship amount of $2000. FRANCOIS confirms this has now been
paid. DONE, can be removed next minutes.

ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up calls for participation for Webteam

No update

ACTION: Clinton to send Francois his Westpac customer number
Francois is still waiting for Clinton to do that. This can be removed
from the next minutes.

Grant application from ANDREW DONNELAN for CompCon 2013 for travel
expenses for ELENA WILLIAMS.
ACTION: Reimburse Elena for travel. DONE, can be removed next minutes.

Correspondence regarding KENNARDS STORAGE

ACTION: Bianca to email LEV LAFAYETTE, have tapes sent to STEVE WALSH.

Steve has received tapes now.

Receipt received from ROB BRITTAIN for reimbursement. DONE by Francois.
Can be removed next minutes

ACTION: Kathy to find BSB and account number and finalise reimbursement
Action complete, can be removed next minutes
ACTION: Francois to confirm receipt of refund of approx $400. DONE, can
be removed next minutes.

ACTION:Funds for the Malcolm Treddinick memorial to be arranged
DEFERRED for discussion with Francois.

ACTION:FRANCOIS to confirm budget amount for this

DISCUSSION: Funding for SHAUN NYQUIST funding request. Request was
previously approved.
ACTION: Francois to arrange payment. DONE, can be removed next minutes.

INVOICE received from SecurePay for $AUD395 for Verified by Visa services.
ACTION: Francois is across this and will pay invoice. DONE, can be
removed next minutes

4. Items for discussion

1.

LCA2014 update

1.

Registrations at 250

2.

Technical Ghosts meeting being planned for November

2.

LCA2015 bid submission update
Held IN CAMERA

3.

Drupal South

1.

Monthly report received

2.

Call for sessions has gone out and is open until November 1st

4.

Drupal Gov
ACTION: El Pres to contact LEANNE SHORB for post event wrap-up
http://lanyrd.com/2013/drupalgov/schedule/
(Leanne to send update once invoices paid)

1.

No updated received. To be followed up.

5.

Joomla Day Sydney

1.

Day was successfully held with positive feedback

2.

Currently arranging survey for feedback

3.

Accounts etc to be closed

6.

Wordcamp post event wrap up. Need to check again.

7.

2014 council elections. Who will run it,set dates, open etc.
ACTION: CLINTON to end Paul an email to arrange time at LCA for AGM

5. Items for noting

6. Other business

*

Raised by KATHY REID in response to the current NSW bushfire crisis,
in which many members may be personally affected. For consideration
of what actions if any it would be suitable for Linux Australia to
undertake in response to the bushfire crisis, such as a donation to
the Salvation Army appeal.

Agreement that a donation is not required, however a note to be sent to
the public list offering support to any members affected if needed.
ACTION: Josh Stewart to send note to the public list offering support

Awarding of LCA2015 was discussed in camera and will be formally
announced in due course.