Council Meeting 19 November 2013

Tue, 2013-11-19 19:45 - 20:59

Council Minutes Tuesday 19th November 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Meeting opened 1945hrs

Present: Mr Joshua Hesketh, Mr Hugh Blemings, Ms Kathy Reid, Mr Clinton Roy, Ms Bianca Gibson

Apologies: Mr Josh Stewart, Mr Francois Marier

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata.
MOTION by Bianca that previous minutes are correct when TIm Ansell’s note is taken into consideration. SECONDED by Hugh, passed unanimously

Correction to minutes by TIM ANSELL was noted regarding the WordPress grant;

Chris, Slivia and Tennessee all suggested that it be used for multiple groups.

Tim suggested that Arron use a different set of equipment to get better video recordings.

2. Log of correspondence

In the period since 5 November, 4 additional members have joined Linux Australia. Around 6 memberships have been cancelled by member request, largely as a result of the Member Survey. Membership now stands at 3031 according to MemberDB.

Elections - Elections opened on 3rd November and nominations and seconds are in progress. CHRIS NEUGEBAUER picked up an issue with the number of open positions for Council Members which Kathy tried to fix, but which has broken the dates on the election.
UPDATE: Josh Hesketh fixed the issue, noted with thanks Chris identifying the issue

Rusty Wrench - nominations are coming in
Discussion around how to organise it.
ACTION: Bianca to get in contact with Donna regarding getting the Rusty Wrench award and also to get in contact regarding presentation of the award at LCA2014.

List moderation
Hugh has done a large amount of thinking about policy and processes for when the mailing list requires moderation. It was also noted that TENNESSEE LEEUWENBERG sent some very constructive feedback to Council. Council notes Tennessee’s suggestions and will take them into consideration.
ACTION: All to consider for discussion at next meeting

StixCampGembrook - report received from BEN DECHRAI
Report noted with thanks, no further action required.

AUIGF - statement from PAUL SZYNDLER re how our contribution helped an underrepresented group attend.
Noted with thanks, no further action required.

Economic activity statement from ABS - JOSH HESKETH called ABS to get an extension. To note that this activity took up a lot of time, might need to plan more for it next year.

Linux Australia Member Survey - As at 4 November, there were 562 completed questionnaires, with an expected 575 to be completed by end of the survey period. This represents a response rate of nearly 20%. A report is expected from ACSPRI late November / early December.
NO ACTION required, for noting only

ACSPRI grant application - KATHY REID has been working with DR BETSY BLUNSDEN from ACSPRI around what might work in terms of a grant request
NO ACTION required, for noting only

Payment of Pycon US sponsorship invoice
Checking where this is at, CHRIS NEUGEBAUER was chasing on list

PAID by Francois and Josh H.

Pycon US announcement
ACTION: Clinton to respond to Chris, the communication is ready to go

REQUEST from SHANE COUGHLAN from the OPEN INNOVATION NETWORK for Linux Australia to become a signatory to the non-aggression patent pledge
Discussion around whether or not there is value in LA participating in the OIN. Further discussion to be had and a decision made on this in the next meeting.
ACTION: Clinton to forward some LWN links on the OIN to the committee for background reading.
UPDATE: Shane has chased with Kathy for an update
Discussion around whether we need legal advice
ACTION: Clinton to seek legal information from contacts in the community

Rails Girls Brisbane event funding from ROBERT FELDMAN
This was supposed to have been on the agenda for 5 November, Kathy missed it. Robert has advised that Bank of Queensland has significantly funded Rails Girls. Kathy has responded.
Clinton advised that he attended and that there is a strong relationship between LA and Rails Girls.
No further action required

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before meeting)

ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up calls for participation for Webteam
Noted, to come off minutes and recommend next Council follow it up.

ACTION: Funds for the Malcolm Treddinick memorial to be arranged
DEFERRED for discussion with Francois.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2014 update
Going well

Regional Delegates’ Programme
25th November deadline, judging panel has been appointed.

LCA2015 bid submission update
Under control

LCA2016 bid submission update
Under control

Drupal South

Drupal Gov
ACTION: Josh Hesketh to contact LEANNE SHORB for post event wrap-up
http://lanyrd.com/2013/drupalgov/schedule/
(Leanne to send update once invoices paid)

Joomla Day Sydney
ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up to see how they went

Open Food Web

WordCamp Melbourne - Dee Teal did provide Kathy an update, Kathy missed it and has resent it to Council.

Discussion around conference selection and continuation subcommittee (re OSDC exec etc).
Discussion around the best way to handle this

Remaining teleconf meetings for the year
Josh Hesketh can’t make next one. 17th and 31st December are next dates. 17th December is sensible, but 31st December will be difficult for people. Thursday 2nd might be good for people.
DEFER until closer to the dates in question

5. Items for noting

6. Other business

Malcolm Treddinick memorial prize

https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2013/nov/04/announcing-inaugural-winner-malcolm-tredinnick-mem/

7. In camera

Three matters were discussed in camera.

Meeting closed at 2059hrs