You’re a Dev, have you considered a career in Ops?
You’ve got a few years of professional site-building experience under your belt and know all the good web technologies out there (and maybe some of the bad ones too). You might, dare we say it, be finding it a bit same-y.
Perhaps you’ve wondered what life is like on the other side of the fence…
What you could be doing at Anchor
Anchor makes the best custom web hosting solutions in Australia, and we build to requirements, not to a budget. Your job will be to lovingly configure and maintain servers for customers, often developers just like you. Then you’ll make robots do it for you.
* We’re big on automation here. You’ll be getting your hands dirty solving interesting problems, and then automating the solution so you don’t have to solve the same problem again.
* You’ll be working in a casual and fun environment with a team of equally sharp-minded geeks. Like them, you know how to Get Things Done. Most of all you’re a passionate and pragmatic problem-solver. You’ll do the right thing by our customers, and give them the solutions they need.
* Anchor is a supportive work environment that encourages learning. You can expect to learn a lot here, and at the same time you’ll give back to others.
Tell us that’s doesn’t sound like a nice change of scenery, we dare you.
You’ll be kept busy by:
* Maintaining customer systems, dealing with submitted tickets and responding to customer enquiries efficiently * Proactively handling problems before our customers even know about them * Learning how to be a good sysadmin * Mentoring your colleagues to help them expand their skills * Automating yourself out of a job * Improving existing systems and processes to better support our customers and your colleagues
To be a great sysadmin you will have:
* Good time management and task prioritisation skills * A methodical and principled approach to troubleshooting and problem diagnosis * The ability to communicate effectively with customers and colleagues * A strong self-motivation to learn new skills and technologies * Strong proficiency in a couple of programming languages, exposure to more languages is great * A strong desire to see constant improvement in yourself and the tools and processes you use * Some hands-on experience working on Linux systems
We love working with these technologies every day:
Familiarity is a definite advantage, but you’ll learn them as you go.
* GNU/Linux: Debian, CentOS, RHEL * Web servers: nginx, Apache * Databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, Memcached * Additional experience is well regarded. Bonus points for: * Networking and routing * Monitoring systems (we use Nagios) * Automation tools such as Puppet
Why Anchor should be your home away from home
* Our kick-ass office is right next door to Town Hall station, and many bus stops are within 1-2 blocks * Workstations with huge screens and your favourite peripherals, your choice of a desktop or laptop * Well-stocked drinks fridge * Company lunch every Friday, visiting one of the many of the nearby eateries * Transparent, no-nonsense and trusting environment – if we hire you we know you’ll do the right thing * Flexible working hours, because fitting in personal commitments shouldn’t be difficult * Some of the best coffee in the city is just across the road * You’ll have the chance to attend conferences like Linuxconf and Pycon, all expenses paid
Where do I sign up?
Anchor is always on the lookout for bright people who can fit the role of a sysadmin. If you’ve got any questions or simply want to know more, feel free to get in touch. A phone call is good (+61-2-8296-5111), or if you prefer, mail us.
If you’re ready to jump the fence to Ops, please send your application to email@example.com
We would request that you apply with both a cover letter addressing why you are suitable and an up to date resume, preferably in PDF format.