Planet Linux Australia

Syndicate content
Planet Linux Australia - http://planet.linux.org.au
Updated: 52 min 59 sec ago

Francois Marier: Streamzap remotes and evdev in MythTV

Fri, 2016-01-08 04:52

Modern versions of Linux and MythTV enable infrared remote controls without the need for lirc. Here's how I migrated my Streamzap remote to evdev.

Installing packages

In order to avoid conflicts between evdev and lirc, I started by removing lirc and its config:

apt purge lirc

and then I installed this tool:

apt install ir-keytable Remapping keys

While my Streamzap remote works out of the box with kernel 3.16, the keycodes that it sends to Xorg are not the ones that MythTV expects.

I therefore copied the existing mapping:

cp /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/streamzap /home/mythtv/

and changed it to this:

0x28c0 KEY_0 0x28c1 KEY_1 0x28c2 KEY_2 0x28c3 KEY_3 0x28c4 KEY_4 0x28c5 KEY_5 0x28c6 KEY_6 0x28c7 KEY_7 0x28c8 KEY_8 0x28c9 KEY_9 0x28ca KEY_ESC 0x28cb KEY_MUTE # | 0x28cc KEY_UP 0x28cd KEY_RIGHTBRACE 0x28ce KEY_DOWN 0x28cf KEY_LEFTBRACE 0x28d0 KEY_UP 0x28d1 KEY_LEFT 0x28d2 KEY_ENTER 0x28d3 KEY_RIGHT 0x28d4 KEY_DOWN 0x28d5 KEY_M 0x28d6 KEY_ESC 0x28d7 KEY_L 0x28d8 KEY_P 0x28d9 KEY_ESC 0x28da KEY_BACK # < 0x28db KEY_FORWARD # > 0x28dc KEY_R 0x28dd KEY_PAGEUP 0x28de KEY_PAGEDOWN 0x28e0 KEY_D 0x28e1 KEY_I 0x28e2 KEY_END 0x28e3 KEY_A

The complete list of all EV_KEY keycodes can be found in the kernel.

The following command will write this mapping to the driver:

/usr/bin/ir-keytable w /home/mythtv/streamzap -d /dev/input/by-id/usb-Streamzap__Inc._Streamzap_Remote_Control-event-if00

and they should take effect once MythTV is restarted.

Applying the mapping at boot

While the naïve solution is to apply the mapping at boot (for example, by sticking it in /etc/rc.local), that only works if the right modules are loaded before rc.local runs.

A much better solution is to write a udev rule so that the mapping is written after the driver is loaded.

I created /etc/udev/rules.d/streamzap.rules with the following:

# Configure remote control for MythTV # https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:IR_control_via_evdev#Modify_key_codes ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0e9c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0000", RUN+="/usr/bin/ir-keytable -c -w /home/mythtv/streamzap -D 1000 -P 250 -d /dev/input/by-id/usb-Streamzap__Inc._Streamzap_Remote_Control-event-if00"

and got the vendor and product IDs using:

grep '^[IN]:' /proc/bus/input/devices

The -D and -P parameters control what happens when a button on the remote is held down and the keypress must be repeated. These delays are in milliseconds.

Linux Users of Victoria (LUV) Announce: LUV Beginners Bonus January Meeting: tcpdump/tshark (wireshark)

Thu, 2016-01-07 17:30
Start: Jan 30 2016 12:30 End: Jan 30 2016 16:30 Start: Jan 30 2016 12:30 End: Jan 30 2016 16:30 Location: 

Infoxchange, 33 Elizabeth St. Richmond

Link:  http://luv.asn.au/meetings/map

Sergey Guzenkov will look into:

  • differences between tshark and tcpdump,
  • tools that come with wireshark: dumpcap, capinfos, mergecap, tshark,
  • how to work with the capture files,
  • how to select the interface we want to capture on,
  • caveats in capturing (like vlans not being displayed),
  • capture and display filters, the difference between them,
  • statistics capabilities - this will be a big focus,
  • graphing,
  • decyphering SSL/TLS connection without access to server certificate.

LUV would like to acknowledge Red Hat for their help in obtaining the Trinity College venue and VPAC for hosting.

Linux Users of Victoria Inc., is an incorporated association, registration number A0040056C.

January 30, 2016 - 12:30

read more

Chris Neugebauer: I’m looking for a job!

Thu, 2016-01-07 10:25

tl;dr: I’m looking for somewhere new to work. I have a résumé and an e-mail address!

I haven’t scared you off yet? Great! Let’s try being a bit more specific.

I’ve worked a lot in Free and Open Source Software communities over the last five years, both in Australia and overseas. While much of my focus has been on the Python community, I’ve also worked more broadly in the Open Source world. I’ve been doing this community work entirely as a volunteer, most of the time working in full-time software engineering jobs which haven’t related to my work in the Open Source world.

I’ve spent the last few years swapping context between building and working with communities I love, and working in a field where these strong ties weren’t useful. This hasn’t been sustainable, so late last year I resigned my job to refresh myself, and considered what my future might look like.

It’s pretty clear that I want to move into a job where I can use the skills I’ve been volunteering for the last few years, and put them to good use both for my company, and for the communities I serve.

What I’m interested in doing fits best into a developer advocacy or community management sort of role. Working full-time on helping people in tech be better at what they do would be just wonderful. That said, my background is in code, and working in software engineering with a like-minded company would also be pretty exciting.

  • Something with a strong developer relations element. I enjoy working with other developers, and I love having the opportunity to get them excited about things that I’m excited about. As a conference organiser, I’m very aware of the line between terrible marketing shilling, and genuine advocacy by and for developers: I want to help whoever I work for end up on the right side of that line.
  • Remote-Friendly. I’ve got conference travel lined up already for the first half of 2016, mostly to the US, but I need to primarily be in Australia so I can run linux.conf.au 2017. I’m happy to work from wherever I happen to be, but having the support of my employer to do so is really important.
  • Relevant to Open Source. The Open Source world is where my experience is, it’s where I know people, and it’s the world where I can be most credible. This doesn’t mean I need to be working on open source itself, but I’d love to be able to show up at OSCON or linux.conf.au and be excited to have my company’s name on my badge.

Why would I be good at this? I’ve been working on building and interacting with communities of developers, especially in the Free and Open Source Software world, for the last five years.

You can find a complete list of what I’ve done in my résumé, but here’s a selection of what I think’s notable:

  • Co-organised two editions of PyCon Australia and made a successful bid for linux.conf.au 2017. I’ve led PyCon AU, from inception, to bidding, to the successful execution for two years in a row. As the public face of PyCon AU, I made sure that the conference had the right people interested in speaking, and that we had many from Australian Python community interested in attending. PyCon AU attracted presenters from six countries, and attracted more than 300 people to my geographically isolated city in the middle of winter. I’m taking what I’ve learned, and am doing this again for linux.conf.au 2017.
  • Given talks at countless open source and developer events, both in Australia, and overseas. I’ve presented at OSCON, PyCons in four countries (soon to be five), and myriad other conferences. I’ve presented on a whole lot of technical topics, and I’ve recently started talking more about the community-level projects I’ve been involved with.
  • Designed, ran, and grew PyCon Australia’s outreach and inclusion programmes. Each year, PyCon Australia has offered upwards of $10,000 (around 10% of conference budget) in grants to people who otherwise wouldn’t be able to attend the conference: this is not just speakers, but people whose presence would improve the conference just by being there. I’ve led a team to assess applications for these grants, and lead our outreach efforts to make sure we find the right people to receive these grants.
  • Served as a council member for Linux Australia. Linux Australia is the peak body for Open Source communities in Australia, as well as underwriting the region’s more popular Open Source and Developer conferences. In particular, I led a project to design governance policies to help make sure the conferences we underwrite are properly budgeted and planned.

So, if you know of anything going at the moment, I’d love to hear about it. I’m reachable by e-mail (mail@chrisjrn.com) but you can also find me on Twitter (@chrisjrn), or if you really need to, LinkedIn.

Anthony Towns: Bitcoin Fees in History

Thu, 2016-01-07 03:26

Prior to Christmas, Rusty did an interesting post on bitcoin fees which I thought warranted more investigation. My first go involved some python parsing of bitcoin-cli results; which was slow, and as it turned out inaccurate — bitcoin-cli returns figures denominated in bitcoin with 8 digits after the decimal point, and python happily rounds that off, making me think a bunch of transactions that paid 0.0001 BTC in fees were paying 0.00009999 BTC in fees. Embarrassing. Anyway, switching to bitcoin-iterate and working in satoshis instead of bitcoin just as Rusty did was a massive improvement.

From a miner’s perspective (ie, the people who run the computers that make bitcoin secure), fees are largely irrelevant — they’re receiving around $11000 USD every ten minutes in inflation subsidy, versus around $80 USD in fees. If that dropped to zero, it really wouldn’t make a difference. However, in around six months the inflation subsidy will halve to 12.5 BTC; which, if the value of bitcoin doesn’t rise enough to compensate, may mean miners will start looking to turn fee income into real money — earning $5500 in subsidy plus $800 from fees could be a plausible scenario, eg (though even that doesn’t seem likely any time soon).

Even so, miners don’t ignore fees entirely even now — they use fees to choose how to fill up about 95% of each block (with the other 5% filled up more or less according to how old the bitcoins being spent are). In theory, that’s the economically rational thing to do, and if the theory pans out, miners will keep doing that when they start trying to get real income from fees rather than relying almost entirely on the inflation subsidy. There’s one caveat though: since different transactions are different sizes, fees are divided by the transaction size to give the fee-per-kilobyte before being compared. If you graph the fee paid by each kB in a block you thus get a fairly standard sort of result — here’s a graph of a block from a year ago, with the first 50kB (the priority area) highlighted:

You can see a clear overarching trend where the fee rate starts off high and gradually decreases, with two exceptions: first, the first 50kB (shaded in green) has much lower fees due to mining by priority; and second, there are frequent short spikes of high fees, which are likely produced by high fee transactions that spend the coins mined in the preceeding transaction — ie, if they had been put any earlier in the block, they would have been invalid. Equally, compared to the priority of the first 50kB of transactions, the the remaining almost 700kB contributes very little in terms of priority.

But, as it turns out, bitcoin wallet software often pretty much just tends to pick a particular fee and use it for all transactions no matter the size:

From the left hand graph you can see that, a year ago, wallet software was mostly paying about 10000 satoshi in fees, with a significant minority paying 50000 satoshi in fees — but since those were at the end of the block, which was ordered by satoshis per byte, those transactions were much bigger, so that their fee/kB was lower. This seems to be due to some shady maths: while the straightforward way of doing things would be to have a per-byte fee and multiply that by the transaction’s size in bytes, eg 10 satoshis/byte * 233 bytes gives 2330 satoshi fee; things are done in kilobytes instead, and a rounding mistake occurs, so rather than calculating 10000 satoshis/kilobyte * 0.233 kilobytes, the 0.233 is rounded up to 1kB first, and the result is just 10000 satoshi. The second graph reverses the maths to work out what the fee/kilobyte (or part thereof) figure would have been if this formula was used, and for this particular block, pretty much all the transactions look how you’d expect if exactly that formula was used.

As a reality check, 1 BTC was trading at about $210 USD at that time, so 10000 satoshi was worth about 2.1c at the time; the most expensive transaction in that block, which goes off the scale I’ve used, spent 240000 satoshi in fees, which cost about 50c.

Based on this understanding, we can look back through time to see how this has evolved — and in particular, if this formula and a few common fee levels explain most transactions. And it turns out that they do:

The first graph is essentially the raw data — how many of each sort of fee made it through per day; but it’s not very helpful because bitcoin’s grown substantially. Hence the second graph, which just uses the smoothed data and provides the values in percentage terms stacked one on top of the other. That way the coloured area lets you do a rough visual comparison of the proportion of transactions at each “standard” fee level.

In fact, you can break up that graph into a handful of phases where there is a fairly clear and sudden state change between each phase, while the distribution of fees used for transactions during that phase stays relatively stable:

That is:

  1. in the first phase, up until about July 2011, fees were just getting introduced and most people paid nothing; fees began at 1,000,000 satoshi (0.01 BTC) (v 0.3.21) before setting on a fee level of 50000 satoshi per transaction (0.3.23).
  2. in the second phase, up until about May 2012, maybe 40% of transactions paid 50000 satoshi per transaction, and almost everyone else didn’t pay anything
  3. in the third phase, up until about November 2012, close to 80% of transactions paid 50000 satoshi per transaction, with free transactions falling to about 20%.
  4. in the fourth phase, up until July 2013, free transactions continue to drop, however fee paying transactions split about half and half between paying 50000 satoshi and 100000 satoshi. It looks to me like there was an option somewhere to double the default fee in order to get confirmed faster (which also explains the 20000 satoshi fees in future phases)
  5. in the fifth phase, up until November 2013, the 100k satoshi fees started dropping off, and 10k satoshi fees started taking over (v 0.8.3)
  6. in the sixth phase, the year up to November 2014, transactions paying fees of 50k and 100k and free transactions pretty much disappeared, leaving 75% of transactions paying 10k satoshi, and maybe 15% or 20% of transactions paying double that at 20k satoshi.
  7. in the seventh phase, up until July 2015, pretty much everyone using standard fees had settled on 10k satoshi, but an increasing number of transactions started using non-standard fees, presumably variably chosen based on market conditions (v 0.10.0)
  8. in the eighth phase, up until now, things go a bit haywire. What I think happened is the “stress tests” in July and September caused the number of transactions with variable fees to spike substantially, which caused some delays and a lot of panic, and that in turn caused people to switch from 10k to higher fees (including 20k), as well as adopt variable fee estimation policies. However over time, it looks like the proportion of 10k transactions has crept back up, presumably as people remove the higher fees they’d set by hand during the stress tests.

Okay, apparently that was part one. The next part will take a closer look at the behaviour of transactions paying non-standard fees over the past year, in particular to see if there’s any responsiveness to market conditions — ie prices rising when there’s contention, or dropping when there’s not.

Lev Lafayette: Enduring Problems with HTML Email and Proprietary Attachments

Tue, 2016-01-05 23:29

Once upon a time, in a generation past, letters would be received with written text. There was a default form (paper with ink or pencil) and an encoding (in the language of the correspondents). Whilst this may all seem very trivial, it does have a particular importance for the subject at hand in the context of contemporary electronic mail. Can the recipient of your message actually read what you've sent them? Could imagine a situation where people knowingly sent written correspondence in a format that recipient couldn't read? Have you ever received an email attachment that you couldn't open?

read more

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Wednesday 21October 2015

Tue, 2016-01-05 21:26
Wed, 2015-10-21 19:49 - 20:07

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

Josh H, Tony, Chris, Sae Ra, Craige

Apologies:

Josh S, James

Meeting opened by Josh H at 1949hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 07 October are correct

Moved: Josh H

Seconded: Tony

Passed 2 abstentions

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

General correspondence

New PyconAU 2016 Subcommittee proposal from RICHARD JONES

MOTION by JOSH HESKETH to accept the proposal of creating a new subcommittee under V2 of the subcommittee policy

Site Chair

Richard Jones (bank account manager)

Conference Members

Javier Candiera

Graeme Cross

Tennessee Leeuwenburg

Rory Hart

Ryan Kelly (treasurer, bank account manager)

Community Members

Chris Neugebauer

Tim Ansell

Clinton Roy

SECONDED: Craige

Passed with 1 abstention.

ACTION: Josh H to contact Richard Jones with details and training on accounts etc.

UPDATE: In Progress.

MOTION by Josh H to approve the PyCon AU budget as put forward on Sep 25th

SECONDED: James

Passed with 2 abstentions

ACTION: Josh H to advise this outcome to the subcommittee

Completed and removed from the agenda.

Garnishee Order - Office of State Revenue NSW

Same person, different address, new Garnishee order number.

ACTION: Sae Ra to call and follow-up with Kathy Reid

Emailed and awaiting a response.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.

ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this

In Progress

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.

Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.

JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this

UPDATE: Ongoing

UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.

We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.

ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig

ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.

UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.

Outstanding action

In Progress

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.

Update: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney

UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.

UPDATE: Currently being followed up.

ACTION: Josh H to follow this up

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH

UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget

UPDATE: Still awaiting

UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.

UPDATE: Tony to follow up.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2016 update

Congratulations for opening up regos. 50% sold out on Early Bird

Get in with your Accommodation now as they are selling out.

Payment gateway to close soon to switch over to the new payment gateway.

LCA2017 update

Whole team meeting has occurred to regroup. Deposits are to be lined up before the beginning of January. College rooms and Wrest Point deposits.

ACTION: Chris to ping Council regarding Xero and Westpac access for accounts.

LCA2018 update

Team is actively working on the bid.

PyCon AU update

Venue deposit has been paid and the contract has been signed. Landing page should be ready soon.

Drupal South

ACTION: Josh to ping the team

OSDConf

Conference is next week.

Second deposit

Registrations are coming through.

Chris to thank organisers on behalf of LA.

GovHack

To be deferred until the next meeting.

JoomlaDay

Event has concluded successfully congratulations

Accounts to be wrapped up.

ACTION: Josh H to seek closure report

5. Items for noting

Second F2F

Dates have been set for 20th-22nd November F2F

Confirmations from council members received and bookings to commence

Meeting room for AGM has been booked.

6. Other business

Membership of auDA

ACTION: Josh H to sign up with LA CC

UPDATE: In progress

Application has been received. We will be informed of the results in the coming weeks.

Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Clinton Roy has been funding the account.

We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.

Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.

LCA is now under the Linux Australia account

ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.

To go onto the Face-To-Face agenda

7. In camera

3 Items was discussed in camera

2007PM Close

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes 07 October 2015

Tue, 2016-01-05 21:26

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present: Josh H, Chris, Josh S, Craige, James

Apologies: Sae Ra Germaine, Tony

Meeting opened by Josh Hesketh at 1949hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 30 September are correct

Moved: Chris N

Seconded: Josh S

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

General correspondence

New PyconAU 2016 Subcommittee proposal from RICHARD JONES

MOTION by JOSH HESKETH to accept the proposal of creating a new subcommittee under V2 of the subcommittee policy

Site Chair

Richard Jones (bank account manager)

Conference Members

Javier Candiera

Graeme Cross

Tennessee Leeuwenburg

Rory Hart

Ryan Kelly (treasurer, bank account manager)

Community Members

Chris Neugebauer

Tim Ansell

Clinton Roy

SECONDED: Craige

Passed with 1 abstention.

ACTION: Josh H to contact Richard Jones with details and training on accounts etc.

UPDATE: In Progress.

MOTION by Josh H to approve the PyCon AU budget as put forward on Sep 25th

SECONDED: James

Passed with 2 abstentions

ACTION: Josh H to advise this outcome to the subcommittee

Garnishee Order - Office of State Revenue NSW

Same person, different address, new Garnishee order number.

ACTION: Sae Ra to call and follow-up with Kathy Reid

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.

ACTION: Sae RA to work with Steve W around this

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.

Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.

JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this

UPDATE: Ongoing

UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.

We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.

ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig

ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.

UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.

Outstanding action

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.

Update: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney

UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.

UPDATE: Currently being followed up.

ACTION: Josh H to follow this up

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH

UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget

UPDATE: Still awaiting

UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.

UPDATE: Tony to follow up.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2016 update

Regos expected to open within 1 week

LCA2017 update

No update

LCA2018 update

1 potential bid developing and council working with this team.

Further updates to be provided for next meeting

PyCon AU update

Deposit to be paid to venue

Drupal South

No update

OSDConf

Additional sponsorship obtained. Sales continuing

GovHack

No update

JoomlaDay

JoomlaDay taking place this weekend

5. Items for noting

Second F2F

Dates have been set for 20th-22nd November F2F

Confirmations from council members received and bookings to commence

MOTION moved by Josh H to congratulate council member Craige on his recent wedding

Seconded by Chris N

Passed unanimously

Meeting room for AGM has been booked.

6. Other business

Membership of auDA

ACTION: Josh H to sign up with LA CC

UPDATE: In progress

Application has been received. We will be informed of the results in the coming weeks.

Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Clinton Roy has been funding the account.

We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.

Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.

LCA is now under the Linux Australia account

ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.

7. In camera

3 items were discussed in camera

2020PM Close

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes 23 September 2015

Tue, 2016-01-05 21:26
Wed, 2015-09-23 19:50 - 20:20

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

Chris, Josh Stewart, Sae Ra, James, Tony

Apologies:

Josh Hesketh, Craig,

Meeting opened by Josh Stewart at 1950hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 09 September are correct

Moved: Josh Stewart

Seconded: Tony Breeds

Passed with 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

MOTION by JOSHUA HESKETH to approve the Grant Request from Andrew Donnellan to fund Russell Keith-Magee as a presenter at CompCon 2015 to the value of $1,200.

SECONDED by CHRIS NEUGEBAUER

PASSED unanimously.

General correspondence

New PyconAU 2016 Subcommittee proposal from RICHARD JONES

MOTION by JOSH HESKETH to accept the proposal of creating a new subcommittee under V2 of the subcommittee policy

Site Chair

Richard Jones (bank account manager)

Conference Members

Javier Candiera

Graeme Cross

Tennessee Leeuwenburg

Rory Hart

Ryan Kelly (treasurer, bank account manager)

Community Members

Chris Neugebauer

Tim Ansell

Clinton Roy

SECONDED: Craige

Passed with 1 abstention.

ACTION: Josh H to contact Richard Jones with details and training on accounts etc.

UPDATE: In Progress.

Cheque from Milton State School

PyconAU Registration cheque

ACTION: Sae Ra to deposit the cheque.

UPdate: will be completed tomorrow

Garnishee Order - Office of State Revenue NSW

Same person, different address, new Garnishee order number.

ACTION: Sae Ra to call and follow-up with Kathy Reid

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.

Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.

JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this

UPDATE: Ongoing

UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.

We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.

ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig

ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.

UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.

Outstanding action

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.

Update: Still in progress

ACTION WordCamp Brisbane - JOSH H to contact Brisbane members who may possibly be able to attend conference closing

ACTION: Sae Ra to send through notes on what to say to James.

UPDATE: James delivered a thank you message to WordCamp.

WordCamp was a successful event. Thank you to the organisers.

ACTION: Josh H to get a wrap up/closing report

UPDATE: Organisers are meeting and will submit a closing report.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to ping the team

ACTION: We have a closure report and this is to now be closed off.

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney

UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.

UPDATE: Currently being followed up.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH

UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget

UPDATE: Still awaiting

UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.

UPDATE: Tony to follow up.

Sponsorship for DrupalCamp event:

for Silver Sponsorship valued at $500

MOTION: Approve the expense of $500 for DrupalCamp Sydney

Seconded James

Passed unanimously.

ACTION: Josh H to let DrupalCamp know.

UPDATE: All has been paid.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2016 update

All notification has gone out. Largely completed.

Rego to open in the next couple of weeks.

Josh H to follow up

LCA2017 update

No updates

LCA2018 update

Contact has been made to talk with multiple teams for multiple bids

PyCon AU update

2016 team are having the first sub-committee meeting. So far so good.

Drupal South

Nothing to report

OSDConf

To be held in October 2015

GovHack

Keen to help out next year. Will be taken off items for discussion until subcommittee was reformed

JoomlaDay

Reviewed budget has been sent through.

to be held October 10-11 October 2015

5. Items for noting

Second F2F

Dates have been set for 20th-22nd November F2F

ACTION: Send an email on list. Chris will not be able to attend.

ACTION: Council to reply to Josh

Meeting room for AGM has been booked.

6. Other business

Membership of auDA

ACTION: Josh H to sign up with LA CC

UPDATE: In progress

Application has been received. We will be informed of the results in the coming weeks.

Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Clinton Roy has been funding the account.

We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.

Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.

LCA is now under the Linux Australia account

ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.

7. In camera

3 items was discussed in camera

2020PM close

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Wednesday 16 December 2015

Tue, 2016-01-05 21:26
Wed, 2015-12-16 19:48 - 20:52

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

Josh H, Chris N, Tony, Sae Ra, Josh S, James

Apologies:

Craige M

Meeting opened by Josh H at 1948hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 03 December are correct

Moved: Josh H

Seconded: Chris

Passed unanimously

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

MOTION by JOSHUA HESKETH to approve the WordCamp Sunshine Coast 2016 budget dated 09/12/15.

SECONDED: Sae Ra

Passed with 1 abstention

General correspondence

VPAC Closure

MemberDB is not hard to move. Most of linux.org.au. There’s a few LUG things/DNS stuff.

ACTION: Josh H to ping Steve

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.

ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this

In Progress

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.

Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.

JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this

UPDATE: Ongoing

UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.

We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.

ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig

ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.

UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.

Outstanding action

In Progress

Completed

ACTION: Craige to send key to Josh H

In progress.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.

Update: Still in progress

Money shuffling is still required

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney

UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.

UPDATE: Currently being followed up.

ACTION: Josh H to follow this up

Have received information back. Josh to continue following up.

News Limited is still outstanding

WordPress Foundation:

acts similarly as Linux Australia.

Runs multiple WordCamps in the US.

WordPress give access to names to, documentation and financial support to WordCamps outside of US and Australia.

There is a mandate for WordPress to not return a profit.

What to do with outstanding debt:

What to do in the future: WordPress foundation will act as a sponsor to the event.

If the event makes a loss. WordPress foundation is able to act as a safety net.

Debt outstanding for 2014:

MOTION by JOSH HESKETH we cancel the debt for the WordPress foundation for their sponsorship for WordCamp in Sydney

Seconded: Tony

Carried with 1 objection

ACTION: Josh H to Confirm Sponsorship with the WordCamp 2016 budget.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH

UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget

UPDATE: Still awaiting

UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.

UPDATE: Tony to follow up.

In Progress.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2016 update

Josh has talked to David and Kathy - Everything is within budget and contingency items have been set into the budget.

Sales are tracking well.

LCA2017 update

Subcommittee to be formed.

MOTION by JOSH HESKETH to form a subcommittee for LCA2017 with Josh Stewart as a community member with a council member to be the stood in as a community member of either Josh Hesketh or Tony Breeds.

Chair: Chris N

Treasurer: Matthew D'Orazio

Craige McWhirter

Michael Cordover

SECONDED: TONY BREEDS

Carried 1 abstention

ACTION: Chris to send through email on what’s involved around the venue.

LCA2018 update

Flights are booked for a site visit.

the LCA2018 team may need to work out when Ghosts would be held because of venue organisations.

Josh H to organise hotels.

PyConAU update

ACTION: Josh to catch up with PyConAU.

Call for special events has gone out.

Drupal South

ACTION: Josh to catch up with DrupalSouth

OSDConf

Need to close the books and seek a closure report

GovHack

To submit a forked subcommittee policy

JoomlaDay

ACTION: Josh to seek a closure report.

DrupalGov

Josh H caught up with the team and they are going well.

Westpac access to be given.

WordCamp Sunshine Coast

Budget has been passed.

5. Items for noting

Meeting room for AGM has been booked.

6. Other business

Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Clinton Roy has been funding the account.

We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.

Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.

LCA is now under the Linux Australia account

ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.

James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.

UPDATE: In Progress

7. In camera

2 items were discussed in camera

2052PM Close

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Wednesday 02 December 2015

Tue, 2016-01-05 21:26
Wed, 2015-12-02 19:56 - 20:50

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

Chris, Sae Ra, Josh H, Josh S, Tony, Craig

Apologies:

James,

Meeting opened by Josh H at 1956hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 04 November are correct

Moved: Josh H

Seconded: Josh S

2 abstentions

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

Nil

General correspondence

Offer from PHILLIP SMITH to help with LA Admin

Email from JANET REID regarding ATO feedback

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.

ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this

In Progress

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.

Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.

JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this

UPDATE: Ongoing

UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.

We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.

ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig

ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.

UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.

Outstanding action

In Progress

Completed

ACTION: Craige to send key to Josh H

In progress.

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.

Update: Still in progress

Money shuffling is still required

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney

UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.

UPDATE: Currently being followed up.

ACTION: Josh H to follow this up

Have received information back. Josh to continue following up.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH

UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget

UPDATE: Still awaiting

UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.

UPDATE: Tony to follow up.

In Progress.

Please refer to Action Items list for more items.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2016 update

Sales are going well

Josh H to sit down with David and Kathy re budget

LCA2017 update

Contracts for Wrest Point has arrived

Budget needs to be approved.

Questions have been sent through to the team.

Subcommittee also needs to be approved with Community members.

Contract for Venue is required to be signed. 2 Keynotes have been lined up.

LCA2018 update

Face to Face site visit has been penciled in 9th and 10th Jan

PyConAU update

No updates as yet.

Drupal South

In Progress

OSDConf

Gifts to be sorted

GovHack

Linux Australia wants to enable GovHack to do good work. GovHack will put forward a forked version of the Subcommittee policy.

Council unanimously support GovHack’s willingness to work with us and welcomes GovHack’s event to be run under the Linux Australia banner

JoomlaDay

Closure Report to be sought.

DrupalGov

Waiting on budget.

WordCamp Sunshine Coast

Subcommittee has been submitted.

Site Team

Luke Carbis (Chair) (Bank Account Manager)

Ricky Blacker (Treasurer) (Bank Account Manager)

Talia Carbis

Rob Stinson

Myles Agnew

Rose Cox

Community Representatives

Dee Teal

Bronson Quick

Dion Hulse

MOTION: JOSH H Linux Australia to accept the formation of the WordCamp Sunshine Coast subcommittee to run a WordCamp on the Sunshine Coast.

Seconded: Tony

Passed unanimously

5. Items for noting

Meeting room for AGM has been booked.

6. Other business

Membership of auDA

ACTION: Josh H to sign up with LA CC

UPDATE: In progress

Application has been received. We will be informed of the results in the coming weeks.

Linux Australia are now members of auDA

Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Clinton Roy has been funding the account.

We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.

Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.

LCA is now under the Linux Australia account

ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.

James: to chase up with Clinton re LibrePlanet.

7. In camera

4 items was discussed in camera

2050PM Close

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes Wednesday 04 November 2015

Tue, 2016-01-05 21:26
Wed, 2015-11-04 19:49 - 20:53

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

Craige, Josh S, Sae Ra, Josh H, James

Apologies:

Tony, Chris

Meeting opened by Josh H at 749hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 21 October are correct

Moved: Josh

Seconded: Craige

1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

General correspondence

Garnishee Order - Office of State Revenue NSW

Same person, different address, new Garnishee order number.

ACTION: Sae Ra to call and follow-up with Kathy Reid

Emailed and awaiting a response.

Proposal from Christopher Skene to support DrupalGov Canberra as a Linux Australia sub-committee

To be discussed on list.

Grant application from Derren Desouza re coindesk.org impressions

MOTION Josh H, Linux Australia Council politely declines the grant request given the feedback from the Community we believe that the project does not meet the

Seconded Craige

Passed unanimously

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request from infrastructure subcommittee for assistance around previous LCA websites.

ACTION: Sae Ra to work with Steve W around this

In Progress

To be added to Face to Face agenda

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.

Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.

JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this

UPDATE: Ongoing

UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.

We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.

ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig

ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.

UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.

Outstanding action

In Progress

Completed

ACTION: Craige to send key to Josh H

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.

Update: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney

UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.

UPDATE: Currently being followed up.

ACTION: Josh H to follow this up

Have received information back. Josh to continue following up.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH

UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget

UPDATE: Still awaiting

UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.

UPDATE: Tony to follow up.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2016 update

Josh H has caught up with the Core Team. Budget to be tweaked and re-budgeted. All in all tracking well.

Zookeepr Payment Gateway

The new payment gateway to be completed by the end of this week, so we have time to cut over before the cutoff date occurs.

Callback from SecurePay needs to be registered correctly.

Updates to be provided to Stakeholders.

LCA2017 update

Tracking along.

LCA2018 update

Bid has been received.

Council to start looking at bid document and to discuss in the coming weeks.

to be placed on the Face-to-face agenda.

PyCon AU update

No news as yet.

Drupal South

Council to follow-up.

OSDConf

Congratulations on a fantastic conference!

GovHack

No update.

Josh S to meet with sponsor coordinator.

JoomlaDay

Josh to seek a wrap up report.

DrupalGov

To be added to future agendas

5. Items for noting

Second F2F

Dates have been set for 20th-22nd November F2F

Confirmations from council members received and bookings to commence

Meeting room for AGM has been booked.

6. Other business

Membership of auDA

ACTION: Josh H to sign up with LA CC

UPDATE: In progress

Application has been received. We will be informed of the results in the coming weeks.

Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Clinton Roy has been funding the account.

We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.

Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.

LCA is now under the Linux Australia account

ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.

To go onto the Face-To-Face agenda

7. In camera

4 items was discussed in camera

2053PM Close

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes 09 September 2015

Tue, 2016-01-05 20:26

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

Josh H, Josh S, Sae Ra, Tony, Chris, Craige,

Apologies:

James Iseppi

Meeting opened by Josh H at 1948hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 25 August are correct

Moved: Josh H

Seconded: Craig

Carried with 2 abstentions

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

General correspondence

Mirroring of OpenVZ files from SERGEY BRONNIKOV

Forwarded to the Mirroring Team about the ability to take care of the mirror.

Currently the server may not have the capacity but to ask again in 6 months time.

COMPLETED: Can be removed from further agendas.

New PyconAU 2016 Subcommittee proposal from RICHARD JONES

MOTION by JOSH HESKETH to accept the proposal of creating a new subcommittee under V2 of the subcommittee policy

Site Chair

Richard Jones (bank account manager)

Conference Members

Javier Candiera

Graeme Cross

Tennessee Leeuwenburg

Rory Hart

Ryan Kelly (treasurer, bank account manager)

Community Members

Chris Neugebauer

Tim Ansell

Clinton Roy

SECONDED: Craige

Passed with 1 abstention.

ACTION: Josh H to contact Richard Jones with details and training on accounts etc.

Cheque from Milton State School

PyconAU Registration cheque

ACTION: Sae Ra to deposit the cheque.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Request for budget information regarding linux.conf.au for a bid team

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.

Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.

JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this

UPDATE: Ongoing

UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.

We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.

ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craig

ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.

UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.

Outstanding action

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.

Update: Still in progress

ACTION WordCamp Brisbane - JOSH H to contact Brisbane members who may possibly be able to attend conference closing

ACTION: Sae Ra to send through notes on what to say to James.

UPDATE: James delivered a thank you message to WordCamp.

WordCamp was a successful event. Thank you to the organisers.

ACTION: Josh H to get a wrap up/closing report

UPDATE: Organisers are meeting and will submit a closing report.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to ping the team

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney

UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.

UPDATE: Currently being followed up.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH

UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget

UPDATE: Still awaiting

UPDATE: Steve is on holidays and it will be followed up later.

Sponsorship for DrupalCamp event:

for Silver Sponsorship valued at $500

MOTION: Approve the expense of $500 for DrupalCamp Sydney

Seconded James

Passed unanimously.

ACTION: Josh H to let DrupalCamp know.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2016 update

Papers Face to Face was held and was very productive.

Programme has been put together.

Next time we would like to make sure we get more Kernel talks.

ACTION: Sae Ra to talk to team re: scheduling

LCA2017 update

Nothing new at this time.

LCA2018 update

Potential bidding team has requested documentation.

PyCon AU update

Motion previously mentioned

ACTION: Closure report to be sought by Chris N

Drupal South

A new treasurer has been lined up. Details to be discussed at a later date.

OSDConf

Registrations have now been opened.

GovHack

Red carpet awards was an excellent evening. Lots of interesting talks were given.

There was a lot of interest in having Linux Australia involved in the future.

Previous week’s In Camera note has now been moved to public viewing as below:

Linux Australia was proud to be part of this event and was very proud to be able to reward the prize of the Open Source Bounty to SynergyCity - a GovHack Perth team

JoomlaDay

Sponsorship has been tracking well.

ACTION: Tony to talk to Carly for an updated budget to be reported at the next council meeting.

5. Items for noting

Second F2F

Dates have been set for 20th-22nd November F2F

ACTION: Send an email on list. Chris will not be able to attend.

Meeting room for AGM has been booked.

Perhaps a catered event may be preferred?

To be discussed at future meetings.

6. Other business

Membership of auDA

Relationship already exists.

LA has the potential to influence the decisions that are made.

ACTION: Council to investigate and look into this further. To be discussed at next fortnight.

UPDATE: Carried to next meeting

MOTION: Josh H moves that LA becomes a Demand Class member of auDA

Seconded: Tony B

Passed unanimously.

ACTION: Josh H to sign up with LA CC

UPDATE: In progress

Application has been received. We will be informed of the results in the coming weeks.

Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Clinton Roy has been funding the account.

We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.

Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.

LCA is now under the Linux Australia account

ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Humbug meetup has a subscription for the next 6 months.

2022PM Close

Linux Australia News: Council Minutes 26 August 2015

Tue, 2016-01-05 20:26

1. Meeting overview and key information

Present

James, Josh S, Sae Ra, Josh H, Tony, Craige

Apologies:

Chris

Meeting opened by Josh H at 1947hrs and quorum was achieved

MOTION that the previous minutes of 12 August are correct

Moved: Josh H

Seconded: Tony

Passed 1 abstention

2. Log of correspondence

Motions moved on list

Motion moved on list recorded In Camera due to time sensitivity

General correspondence

Mirroring of OpenVZ files from SERGEY BRONNIKOV

Forwarded to the Mirroring Team about the ability to take care of the mirror.

Currently the server may not have the capacity but to ask again in 6 months time.

ACTION: JOSH H to respond to Sergey regarding the mirror

New PyconAU 2016 Subcommittee proposal from RICHARD JONES

Subcommittee policy to be discussed between the proposed team members.

Subcommittee members to be added to the website once motion has been moved.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

Email from DONNA BENJAMIN regarding website and update to D8 or possible rebuild.

Discussion held about means of finding people willing to assist with both the maintenance of the website platform as well as the content available on this.

JOSH H to speak to Donna regarding this

UPDATE: Ongoing

UPDATE: to be moved to a general action item. To do a call for help to work on the website. Could this be treated as a project.

We need to at least get the website to D8 and automate the updating process.

ACTION: Josh to get a backup of the site to Craige

ACTION: Craige to stage the website to see how easy it is to update.

UPDATE: Craige to log in to the website to elevate permissions.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to tarball the site.

Outstanding action

ACTION: Josh H and Tony to assess an appropriate amount to transfer funds back from NZ to Australia.

Update: Still in progress

ACTION WordCamp Brisbane - JOSH H to contact Brisbane members who may possibly be able to attend conference closing

ACTION: Sae Ra to send through notes on what to say to James.

UPDATE: James delivered a thank you message to WordCamp.

WordCamp was a successful event. Thank you to the organisers.

ACTION: Josh H to get a wrap up/closing report

UPDATE: Organisers are meeting and will submit a closing report.

UPDATE: Still in progress

ACTION: Josh H to follow-up on Invoices from WordCamp Sydney

UPDATE: Would be interested in changing the subcommittee structure for ongoing conferences. Conference committees to draft a policy.

UPDATE: Currently being followed up.

UPDATE: Outstanding invoices to be chased up.

ACTION: Josh to follow-up with WordCamp Sydney and Brisbane.

Admin Team draft budget from STEVEN WALSH

UPDATE: Awaiting for a more firm budget

UPDATE: Still awaiting

Sponsorship for DrupalCamp event:

for Silver Sponsorship valued at $500

ACTION: Tony to process invoice

4. Items for discussion

LCA2016 update

Payment gateway is discontinuing. A new payment gateway to be implemented and use.

Call for papers review has been completed and F2F is this weekend

LCA2017 update

Carrying on.

LCA2018 update

There are talks of some bids coming in.

PyCon AU update

Wrap up report to be sought.

Drupal South

Awaiting until next council meeting

OSDConf

Currently seeking sponsorship.

ACTION: Josh H to discuss budget items with OSDConf subcommittee.

GovHack

Red Carpet awards are next week.

Josh S and Craige are attending the dinner on behalf of Linux Australia.

Thanks to Josh S, Josh H and James for reviewing the

ACTION: Josh H to arrange Josh S’ flights.

JoomlaDay

ACTION: Josh to check with Carly

Registrations are now open.

5. Items for noting

Meeting room for AGM has been booked.

ACTION: Sae Ra and Josh H to catch up with Kathy regarding the date.

6. Other business

Membership of auDA

Relationship already exists.

LA has the potential to influence the decisions that are made.

ACTION: Council to investigate and look into this further. To be discussed at next fortnight.

UPDATE: Carried to next meeting

MOTION: Josh H moves that LA becomes a Demand Class member of auDA

Seconded: Tony B

Passed unanimously.

ACTION: Josh H to sign up with LA CC

UPDATE: In progress

To be removed from future agendas.

Meetup payments for LCA, Humbug, LibrePlanet.

Clinton Roy has been funding the account.

We are currently paying for the SLUG meetup.

Deferred until current meetup account is evaluated and if it can use the LA account or if we have to create a new account.

LCA is now under the Linux Australia account

ACTION: Josh H to find out how to consume the other Meetup events: Humbug, LibrePlanet.

UPDATE: We may need to create a second meetup account.

7. In Camera

4 items were discussed in camera

2043PM Close

Stewart Smith: linux.conf.au 2016 Kernel miniconf CFP

Tue, 2016-01-05 17:26

Why yes, it’s another long URL thanks to Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/148SieC6vmAxJZ3R5Lz5e1Mb0IM06LNSCt6WNVEwYFcs/viewform

Got a kernel topic you want to talk about? Got a kernel topic you want to start discussion on? Or a Q&A? Submit NOW! We’re going for part sessions, part unconference.

Questions? Contact me at stewart@linux.vnet.ibm.com

James Purser: A return to regular podcasting

Tue, 2016-01-05 15:30

I have been incredibly bad at getting my podcasting going again. Apart from one episode of Purser Explores The World (which I need to repush because of the site breakage a little while back) I did absolutely nothing last year.

This is very bad.

So I've set myself a target. Starting on the 5th of February I am going to produce a weekly Lunch Time Science podcast. It will be half an hour long, and have the following format:

  • Introduction
  • News Wrap up
  • Paper of the Week
  • Researcher of the Week

It will stream off the Angry Beanie radio stream at 12:30 Australian East Coast time and then be available in podcast format straight afterwords.

As to the other podcasts, I am still working on how to get them up and running but I'm going to concentrate on Lunch Time Science for the moment.

Oh yes, if you know someone in Australia doing interesting research, or who is interesting and that I should talk to, drop me a line on the twitters, facebook or via email; james AT angrybeanie DOT com.

Blog Catagories: angry beanie

Rusty Russell: Bitcoin And Stuck Transactions?

Mon, 2016-01-04 09:28

One problem of filling blocks is that transactions with too-low fees will get “stuck”; I’ve read about such things happening on Reddit.  Then one of my coworkers told me that those he looked at were simply never broadcast properly, and broadcasting them manually fixed it.  Which lead both of us to wonder how often it’s really happening…

My approach is to look at the last 2 years of block data, and make a simple model:

  1. I assume the tx is not a priority tx (some miners reserve space for these; default 50k).
  2. I judge the “minimum feerate to get into a block” as the smallest feerate for any transaction after the first 50k beyond the coinbase (this is an artifact of how bitcoin core builds transactions; priority area first).
  3. I assume the tx won’t be included in “empty” blocks with only a coinbase or a single non-coinbase tx (SPV mining); their feerate is “infinite”.

Now, what feerate do we assume?  The default “dumb wallet” fee is 10000 satoshi per kilobyte: bitcoin-core doesn’t do this pro-rata, so a median 300-byte transaction still pays 10000 satoshi by default (fee-per-byte 33.33).  The worse case is a transaction of exactly 1000 bytes (or, a wallet which does pro-rata fees), which would have a fee-per-byte of 10.

So let’s consider the last two years (since block 277918).  How many blocks in a row we see with a fee-per-byte > 33.33, and how many we see with a feerate of > 10:

Conclusion

In the last two years you would never have experienced a delay of more than 10 blocks for a median-size transaction with a 10,000 satoshi fee.

For a 1000-byte transaction paying the same fee, you would have experienced a 10 block delay 0.7% of the time, with a 20+ block delay on eight occasions: the worse being a 26 block delay at block 382918 (just under 5 hours).  But note that this fee is insufficient to be included in 40% of blocks during the last two years, too; if your wallet is generating such things without warning you, it’s time to switch wallets!

Stuck low-fee transactions are not a real user problem yet.  It’s good to see adoption of smarter wallets, though, because it’s expected that they will be in the near future…

David Rowe: Binary Telemetry Protocol

Mon, 2016-01-04 07:30

Last week I tagged along on a Project Horus balloon launch with Mark, VK5QI. The purpose of this launch was to test a new balloon release and telemetry system that uses the closed source Lora chipset. We had an enjoyable day driving about the Adelaide Hills tracking the balloon, then DF-ing the payload on the ground.

The balloon also flew the RTTY based telemetry system. To receive the RTTY telemetry I used the fsk_horus.m FSK modem developed in October. This modem has near ideal performance in converting radio signals to binary digits. However its performance is limited by the RTTY protocol.

On the way home Mark suggested we fly another balloon in a few days, and we decided to try a new, binary protocol with the ideal modem. A furious two days of coding and integration ensued, but we managed to develop a Horus Layer 2 protocol in C, get it running on the payload, and integrate with the HabHub tracking system.

On Saturday 2 Jan 2016 we launched and it worked really well! Here is a plot of the balloons path:

Even with a very weak signal (we could just hear it on the SSB radios), the binary protocol was pulling packets with valid checksums out of the noise. Here is the telemetry from this sample of the received signal we recorded from the Mt Barker home of VK5FJ:



HORUS,1204,02:57:53,-34.)0819,539.59149 95 6 72,9,-3;,1416 CRC BAD

HORUS,12 5,02858:05,,34.90794,139.59418,9601,71,1,-13,1613 CRC BAD

CRC BAD

HORUS,1210,02:59:05,-34 CRC BAD

HORUS,1211,02:59:17,-34.90725,139.61046,9697,74,9,-12,1408 CRC OK

HORUS,1212,02:59:29,-34.90722,139.61319,9714,76,9,-12,1418 fixed

HORUS,1213,02:59:41,-34.90720,139.61592,9729,74,9,-12,1418 fixed

 

1,1202,02:57:29,-34.908298,139.984512,9556,67,203,-13,156,adbf CRC BAD

1,1204,02:57:53,-34.908089,139.591492,9586,72,9,-13,156,adb3 CRC OK

1,1205,02:58:05,-34.907940,139.594177,9601,71,9,-13,154,999c CRC OK

1,1207,02:58:29,-34.907639,139.599594,9633,74,9,-13,155,9b28 CRC OK

1,1210,02:59:05,-34.907299,139.607758,9683,73,9,-12,154,27eb CRC OK

1,1211,02:59:17,-34.907249,139.610458,9697,74,9,-12,154,8fb9 CRC OK

1,1212,02:59:29,-34.907219,139.613190,9714,76,9,-12,155,a2e8 CRC OK

1,1213,02:59:41,-34.907200,139.615921,9729,74,9,-12,156,b378 CRC OK

The payload is transmitting RTTY and binary packets. The lines starting with “HORUS” come from the RTTY protocol. The lower lines starting with “1″ from the new binary protocol. The binary protocol was delivering packets at Eb/No as low as 6dB (SNR in 3000Hz of -9dB) at 100 bit/s.

Here are some packets from the very end of the flight, from a sample provided by VK5EI in Adelaide:



HORUS,2513,07:19:41,-35.12791,140.72295,7992,50,9,-14,1393 CRC OK

HORUS,2514,07:19:53,-35.12800,140.72472,7838,49,9,-14,1386 CRC OK

HORUS,2515,07:20:05,-35.12794,140.72639,7680,43,9,-13,1395 CRC OK

HOR-(SMJJIRKH IKANHS H )12780,140VHIHCN@HHH0,38,9,-13,1400 CRC BAD

HORUS,2517,07 MOEMBA LJ@N HIIS K !72926,738C I SD PLM#! (1 CRC BAD

 

1,2513,07:19:41,-35.127911,140.722946,7992,50,9,-14,151,f565 CRC OK

1,2514,07:19:53,-35.127998,140.724716,7838,49,9,-14,151,c1ac CRC OK

1,2515,07:20:05,-35.127941,140.726395,7698,43,9,-13,150,0634 CRC BAD

1,2517,07:20:29,-0.000000,26334306.000000,3671,108,1,84,128,a66f CRC BAD



The payload was 300km to the East, and disappearing behind the Mt Lofty ranges as it descended beneath 7700m. Once again RTTY at the top, binary at the bottom. In this case RTTY managed to decode the last packet. The following plot helps explain why:

This is a plot of the output energy from the two FSK filters inside the demodulator. The gap between them is a measure of signal quality or SNR. The x-axis is the time in “bits”, there are 100 bit/s. At the start of this sample, the signal is very clean. Then at about bit 25000 it disappears abruptly into the noise, and by bit 26000 it is gone. One thousand bits is about the time it takes to send one RTTY and one binary packet. Once the signal is gone completely, neither protocol can do much with it.

Overall, a very satisfying result, especially on top of the “ideal” FSK modem development from October. I feel like we are pushing the art of open source telemetry forward. While useful and fun for balloon work, this work has far wider applications, such as IoT.

Protocol Design

Mark provided a packed binary structure for the payload data. I put some thought into the protocol design, carefully considering the use case. This is a lesson I learned from FreeDV – where “voice is not like data”.

I realised that with balloon telemetry data, losing a few packets is OK. When floating along at high altitude the last packet is often very similar to the next one. However it is really important to get some packets through. We don’t want the link to fall over entirely, but can tolerate a high packet error rate.

However when the payload is descending rapidly and close to the ground, reliably receiving packets every few seconds is important. It gives you a good chance of finding the payload on the ground.

The new binary protocol consists of a 16-bit unique word for finding the start of the packet, 176 bits (22 bytes) of binary payload data, which are protected by a (23,11) Golay block code to give a total packet size of 360 bits.

Given we have a few 100 bits of payload data I estimated a Bit Error Rate (BER) of 1E-3 would give us a fair chance of getting a packet through. Add a rate 1/2 code and we can handle a few % BER. Here is the unit test output:



$ gcc horus_l2.c -o horus_l2 -Wall -DHORUS_L2_UNITTEST $ ./horus_l2 test 0: BER: 0.00 ...........: 0

test 1: BER: 0.01 ...........: 0

test 2: BER: 0.05 ...........: 0

test 3: BER: 0.10 ...........: 10

OK, so it’s correcting (0 bit errors after decode) at random BER up to 5%. The Golay (23,11) code can correct 3 errors in a 23 bit codeword which (IIRC) means it falls over at about BER=0.08. This channel is arguably perfect AWGN – a balloon 30km in the air with a line of sight path to our receivers. So random (rather than burst) errors is a reasonable channel model.

Looking at the Eb/No versus BER curves for ideal 2FSK we get a BER of 0.05 at an Eb/No of 6.5dB. So thats where we would expect our binary protocol to fall over. Which is exactly what happened in our tests.

A BER of 1E-3 after FEC decoding is rather high. Its a region where FEC codes don’t work too well. I compared a rate 1/2 convolutional code at the same operating point. It had the same coding gain as the Golay block code (which is just 1.5dB). So might as well use the much simpler block code.

In fact, I am wondering if FEC helps us at all. We may be better off just sending the binary data at half the bit rate, and getting a 3dB increase in our energy/bit. Or send it twice, then combining the received symbols (diversity). More research required.

As I discovered with FreeDV, FEC is not a panacea. Simply slapping FEC onto your system without considering the requirements is naive.

The RTTY protocol has long packets of about 600 hundred bits and almost no protection from bit errors. So we could argue it requires a BER of 1E-3, which is an Eb/No of 10.5dB. This means our binary protocol has a “gain” of around 4dB. I haven’t confirmed this, but suspect most of this gain is from simply having a shorter packet.

However the real world improvement with the binary protocol was significant. There were many times during the cruise phase of the flight where it reliable returned packets when the RTTY protocol experienced problems. So perhaps there are other sources of bit errors that mean a little FEC helps a lot.

The Horus Binary protocol is implemented in a single C file horus_l2.c. Using #defines, the encoder/tx side can be compiled down to a very small module that will run on a tiny 8-bit uC. It can also be compiled to run unit tests, or as the decoder/rx side for the ground station.

Towards Open Source Telemetry

I’m interested in developing an open source telemetry system in 2016, and think we can outperform closed source systems such as Lora because … open source. In October we developed an “ideal” FSK Modem, now we have experience and good results with a protocol. Here is a work flow diagram for the project:

The fsk_horus.m modem needs to be ported to C, converted to fixed point, and then run on a modest uC which will give us a complete, open source telemetry system.

One important step is some simple, low cost, radio hardware. Not a chipset, but our very own open radio hardware. I have prototyped some of the radio already – and received 440MHz signals using a Si5351, NE602, and a few transistors (block diagram above)

Open Source – When Experts Collide

As our balloon was wafting about South Australia I was admiring the HabHub software. Some web developers really know their stuff and now I enjoy the benefits of that. I have no idea how to make nice web sites.

It dawned on me that what Mark and I are doing is applying our expertise to the physical layer of the system – modems and radio hardware. The web developers, smart as they are, would be amazed by our skills in that area. However we can link our code to theirs in a few minutes – no NDAs, no permission required. No road blocks to our innovation.

I keep seeing (and then demonstrating) large gains in modems – HF digital voice, VHF digital voice, and now telemetry. As I explore assumptions (“you can’t violate OSI model layers”, “you must have FEC”, “Chipset XXX is the best”, “you can’t build your own codec/modem/radio hardware”, “DSP must run on custom hardware”) I find many of them misleading or plain wrong.

In real terms – performance – the incumbent closed source systems have been crippled by the fact they are closed source. Then they tell us “you can’t play there”. Wrong.

Even the RF hardware is now “opening up” – I managed to get a prototype telemetry Rx working in a few hours on my bench. It’s not scary when you know how. Just open up the black box and peer inside. Refuse to accept the black box is all there is. Don’t stop until you hit the laws of physics.

Just like nuclear fusion – push together a few domain experts and a great deal of energy is released.

Further Work

Mark pointed out we need the new modem and protocol into a form usable by end users. We are currently piping a bunch of scripts together written in GNU Octave, C, and python. Fantastic for rapid prototyping but the end users need a cross platform GUI application like fldigi or FreeDV.

The current system sends RTTY/Binary packets one after the other. The RTTY packets take 70% of the time. With just the binary protocol we could get 3 times the packet rate which would improve the likelihood of getting valid packets.

An interleaver may also help, for times when there are burst errors. I have tested an initial version but it doesn’t separate the bits enough. More work needed.

It was unclear if some long strings of 1′s and 0′s were upsetting the fsk_horus.m frequency and timing offset estimators. More work needed to determine if this is a real problem. The interleaver would help, and we could always use a scrambler if it turns out to be a real problem.

Halving the bit rate to 50 baud would give us 3dB, and still an acceptable a packet update rate. Using 4FSK rather than 2FSK gives us another 3dB, so in total that’s an easy 6dB gain. 4FSK is possible to generate using more or less the current payload hardware (you might need two GPIOs bits driving a VCO). In a line of sight channel 6dB is double the range. In terms of transmit power that’s like having 4 times the transmit power. That may be “enough”; at 30km altitude the curvature of the Earth may obscure the signal first before you run out of link budget!

Michael Still: YA-90

Sat, 2016-01-02 07:28
    Ok, so now that I've rediscovered walking to trigs while pursuing my hobby of trying to kill Mr Carden, I am enthused to do some more urban walking.



    The only urban trig I haven't been to is YA-90 on Isaacs Ridge. There are also three geocaches along the way I'd like to collect to. I propose we stage a walk from Isaacs as there's plenty of parking and do this one some evening when its cooler.



    Total distance should be about 4km return, with about 150 meters of vertical ascent. It should take about an hour.




We did this walk on a warm afternoon on new year's day. The walk is pleasant, with plenty of shade for most of the way. In the end we only collected two of the geocaches, as following the ridge line to the third was considered an exercise for another day. A very pleasant walk. A 4.2km walk with 169 meters of ascent.



             



Interactive map for this route.



Tags for this post: blog pictures 20160101 photo canberra bushwalk



Comment

James Purser: Looking to move to Drupal 8 for Angry Beanie.

Sat, 2016-01-02 01:30

Ever since Drupal 8 dropped (I honestly thought it wasn't going to drop until at least late 2016) I've been looking for a project to test it out. I could move this blog over to it, but I was thinking a bit more adventurously and thought I could have a look at setting up a seperate site for the For Science! show.

Well.

Slight problem.

While core Drupal 8 appears to be solid, the third party module set, especially those that deal with media handling seem to be well behind in terms of development.

Looks like I'm going to have to get my hands dirty and see if I can help some of these modules along.

Specifically I'm looking at the ability to post audio (both mp3 and ogg), host media players (HTML5) and generally be able to serve podcasty type stuff.

Blog Catagories: drupal8angrybeanie

Francois Marier: Linux kernel module options on Debian

Thu, 2015-12-31 08:24

Linux kernel modules often have options that can be set. Here's how to make use of them on Debian-based systems, using the i915 Intel graphics driver as an example.

To get the list of all available options:

modinfo -p i915

To check the current value of a particular option:

cat /sys/module/i915/parameters/enable_ppgtt

To give that option a value when the module is loaded, create a new /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf file and put the following in it:

options i915 enable_ppgtt=0

and then re-generate the initial RAM disks:

update-initramfs -u -k all

Alternatively, that option can be set at boot time on the kernel command line by setting the following in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i915.enable_ppgtt=0"

and then updating the grub config:

update-grub2