Hands-on with wide range of Technologies
Scope to Initiate and Lead In-house Tech Projects
Based in SE suburbs
Casual dress environment
Linux Sys Admin role based in SE suburbs that will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to work with a myriad of technologies.
Our company is something of a quiet-achiever in the Domain, Web Hosting and Email space and is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. Its main office is located here in sunny Melbourne and it also has offices in NZ as well as the UK. Responsible for the maintenance and support of some 1 million domains this is not simply, ‘just another hosting company.’
The environment is professional but relaxed, borne out by a casual dress policy. Staff turnover is very low and there is a great environment across the whole organisation with regular team-lunches and other get togethers. Within the company, there is an emphasis on technical skills and staff are encouraged to develop these skills via interaction with colleagues as well as the opportunity for more formal training.
Reporting into the Sys Admin Manager, this permanent opportunity for a Linux Systems Administrator is part of a team responsible for managing and maintaining the company’s infrastructure. Based onsite, duties will include, but not be limited to:
• System Back-ups / restores
• Security patching
• Elements of Testing
• Designing, configuring, and deploying servers
• Management of DNS servers, Web application servers & Database servers
• Scaling of current hosting infrastructure
• Assisting in various Project requirements
• Resolution of emails/tickets re system issues – escalating where necessary
• Liaising with the in-house development team on deployments and automation
Mandatory to this role is the requirement for you to be part of an On-Call Roster made up of 1 week on, 2 weeks off.
Significantly, the company has a large number of projects it is constantly rolling out and at present there are some 2.5 years’ worth of work in the pipeline. These projects are almost exclusively completed by the in-house staff meaning it is up to them to propose, plan and identify the best suited technologies to use for successful implementation. As the company evolves, there will be many opportunities to grow your skills and experience in a number of different technical areas, with you being actively encouraged to initiate new projects as well as providing input on others.
Skills & Experience
From a technical perspective, you will have experience in two or three of the below technologies to very good standard.
• HAProxy, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB and Varnish
• Asterisk and VOIP
• Xen and KVM
• CISCO ASA and IPSEC VPN
• Some 18months to 2years experience in a Sys Admin role in a Linux environment is essential
• Strong deployment skills as well as Software configuration and scripting
• Experience with Cisco VOIP would be advantageous though not essential
• Ability to prioritise your varied workload
• Communication skills - the ability to share your skills and experience with other team-members is very important
• Previous experience with a hosting/email/domain (or similar) company would be advantageous though not essential
Why you’d want this role.
Not only is there the exposure to a wide range of current and emerging technologies, you have to opportunity to become involved and even initiate projects using your own technical insights and skills.
Added to this, the great team-environment promotes knowledge-sharing allowing you to further expand your technical horizons.
Finally, no two days are the same meaning you will be constantly challenged to propose and deliver new or better ways of working.
Vivid is a recently established company that aims to provide a far more transparent and open recruitment experience for Candidates and Clients alike. You can follow our most recent roles and developments at www.linkedin.com/company/vivid---clearly-different as well as reading more about us at www.vividcd.com
For further information about the role, please forward your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
and be assured of full confidentiality.
Please note that only applicants based in and with the right to work in Australia can be considered for this position.