Council Meeting 24 April 2013

Wed, 2013-04-24 19:45 - 21:00

Council Minutes Wednesday 24th April

For the purposes of clarity, Josh Hesketh is referred to in minutes as El Presidente. For the purposes of humour, Kathy Reid is referred to as Madame Secretary.

Meeting opened 1945hrs

Present: Mr Joshua Hesketh, Mr Hugh Blemings, Mr Francois Marier, Mr Josh Stewart, Ms Kathy Reid

Apologies: Mr Clinton Roy, Ms Biance Gibson

Quorum was achieved

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata

MOVE that the minutes from 28th March are correct

SECONDED by Madame Secretary, passed unanimously

NOTED that the meeting scheduled for 11th April did not reach quorum and that it was rescheduled by consensus to Wed 24 April.

2. Log of correspondence

Membership - In the period since last meeting 28th March, there have been 5 applications for membership of LA. These have all been approved except from one applicant, who has yet to provide her last name as per the constitution. Membership stands at 2921 according to MemberDB.

Insurance policy renewals from HIMAN BHINDI at oamps

Paperwork has been sent by Hugh 23 April, has been received and has been passed to relevant insurers for processing. Waiting to hear back from the insurers.

Request from Open Food Web from KIRSTEN LARSEN and next actions

Request was discussed in terms of precedence, alignment with values of Linux Australia etc. Awaiting response from Kirsten to Brianna. Comfortable with hosting request, further information needed around developer time, licensing implications.

NOTED that Microsoft Word documents / .docx format is not ideal for a grant submission to Linux Australia :-)

MOTION Council to work with Admin Team to provide appropriate VPS to Open Food Web

SECONDED by Madame Secretary, passed unanimously

Decision on second part of project - funding developer time - is postponed until further information is provided, specifically a response to Brianna Laugher’s questions on the linux-aus mailing list

Request for Linux and Android information from DARREN MOORE

Kathy responded to Darren directly, no further action required

Information from BRIANNA LAUGHER regarding inaugural Australian Internet Governance Forum http://www.igf.org.au/. What next actions should we take to promote this?

Council noted their thanks to Brianna for passing this on. Strong support for this initiative. Noted that Internet NZ is an event partner. General consensus that we would like to support and promote this to our community. Discussion around formally approaching auDA to offer support and assistance, all in agreement. Possibly also one for the Media Team to assist with.

ACTION: El Presidente to work with Madame Secretary to draft an official letter of support to auDA

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before meeting)

Action items were reviewed for progress and next actions taken and actioned items noted as complete.

4. Items for discussion

LCA2013 wind up update

Generally under control

LCA2014 update

Progressing, Ghosts is this weekend

PyCon AU update

Progressing very well. Could use more assistance but is still progressing very well with thanks to Chris’ efforts.

Shaun’s travel request, update

With Clinton to chat with Shaun.

ACTION: El Presidente to follow up with Clinton and Shaun

Media subcommittee and Newsletter update

Council newsletter and getting this going - we have a draft at
http://wiki.linux.org.au/MediaTeam:Newsletter/2013April#Media_and_Communications_Subcommittee

ACTION: Madame Secretary to liaise with Brianna to seek review on draft

ACTION: Madame Secretary to send to Council for feedback also

TASLug elections

Under control

GovHack and promoting this to the wider community

General support indicated for this initiative, Linux Australia would like to assist/sponsor.

ACTION: El Presidente and Madame Secretary to work on a letter of support to GovHack

Hardware Freedom Day and putting this on a wider calendar of events

Noted, we can put this on the calendar of events in the future

Peter Lieverdink’s resignation from webteam and admin team

Council were unanimous in their deep gratitude for all of Peter’s efforts.

ACTION: Hugh to follow up a thank you gift for Peter

Committees

We need to do a call for volunteers for sub-committees, admin, webteam, mirror team essentially. General call for help on the webteam.

ACTION: El Presidente to do a call for volunteers for the Sub-committees.

Bianca taking a break

Council noted Bianca’s efforts with thanks

Joomla Day Sydney subcommittee

MOVE: That the Joomla Subcommittee is instantiated to run Joomla Day Sydney led by Tim Plummer as per email 19th February

MOVED by El Presidente, SECONDED by Francois, passed unanimously

5. Items for noting

Banking situation now mostly sorted: 4 signatories (Francois, Josh, Kathy, Hugh), 3 debit cards (Josh, Kathy, Francois), 3 token holders (Josh, Francois, Kathy), 2 account admins (Josh, Francois).

LCA2014 account is now “2 to sign” just like other LA accounts (with the exception of LCA2013).

6. Other business

DrupalGov Canberra

Council noted the request from CHRIS SKENE which didn’t make it on to the agenda prior to the meeting. In general all supportive.

ACTION El Presidente to speak with Chris Skene and have a chat about specifics

AUUG windup

ACTION: Hugh to work with them in terms of any handover tasks

Meeting closed 2100hrs

Next meeting: Thursday 9th May 1945hrs