Minutes of Council Meeting 03 December 2013

Tue, 2013-12-03 19:45 - 21:03

Council Minutes Tuesday 3rd December 2013

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Present: Mr Hugh Blemings, Mr Clinton Roy, Ms Bianca Gibson, Ms Kathy Reid, Mr Josh Stewart

Apologies: Mr Francois Marier, Mr Joshua Hesketh

Quorum was achieved.

Meeting opened 1945hrs

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata.

A formal motion to confirm minutes was accidentally skipped; no omissions or errata are assumed.

2. Log of correspondence

There have been 9 new members approved since the last meeting. Membership stands at 3040 according to MemberDB.

List moderation
Discussion on where we’re currently at with list moderation. Clinton provided the example of the Brisbane Hackerspace where two warnings are issued and then you are banned from the list. There is currently one formal complaint outstanding related to list moderation. Discussion of future moderation actions could be postponed for further discussion and deliberation as it requires a broad conversation and dialogue around policy and implications.
DECISION: Further discussion on list moderation to be DEFERRED until Council 2014 (likely face to face)

Linux Australia Member Survey - Waiting on final report.
NO ACTION required, for noting only

Office bearer reports - these need to be done in next couple of weeks for inclusion into the AGM agenda
ACTION: Office bearers to do reports. Clinton has kindly offered to proof read reports.

Payment of Pycon US sponsorship invoice - Has been confirmed by treasurer.
Can come off next minutes

REQUEST from SHANE COUGHLAN from the OPEN INNOVATION NETWORK for Clinton is seeking information from our legal sources.
UPDATE: Clinton has been in contact with Kim Weatherall, who is currently engaged in other matters (TPP) so this has taken a back seat.
ACTION: Kathy to correspond with Shane to advise current status.

NOTIFICATION of awarding LCA2015 and LCA2016 and two year model
Community has been advised, no commentary received, no further action at this time.

Offer of assistance with anti Trans Pacific Partnership agreement activities from PAUL GARDNER-STEPHEN
A number of people have had involvement. Bianca has offered to put people in touch with each other if someone else from Council would like to contribute and move this forward. The submission deadline is not set, but there is a desire to have it in by the next round of TPP negotiations.
ACTION: Josh Stewart and Clinton Roy are interested in being involved in drafting a submission to the TPP. Bianca to provide Josh and Clinton with details.

Recommendation from BRENDON SCOTT that LA request to be added to DFATs mailing list for TPP stakeholder briefings
ACTION: Clinton to identify specific action required with Bianca

Xero pricing changes: it looks like our monthly costs will go from $32 to $60 due to their raising their prices.
Council NOTES the price change, this does not represent a financial risk at this time
ACTION: Someone to contact Xero to see whether they will waive the increase

Receipt of grant application from JACKSON DOAK $205 for hardware
MOTION by Kathy Reid that LA approve grant request SECONDED by Clinton, carried unanimously. Council notes Jackson’s enthusiasm and the quick approval of this grant request signals our support for his activities and is meant as encouragement.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before meeting)

ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up calls for participation for Webteam

ACTION: Funds for the Malcolm Treddinick memorial to be arranged
DEFERRED for discussion with Francois.

Action items from the previous minutes:

ACTION: Bianca to get in contact with Donna regarding getting the Rusty Wrench

4. Items for discussion

LCA2014 update
Travel Grants Program
Discussion around whether we should provide Hobbyist or Professional tickets. Also question around increasing budget from current level of $10k.

MOTION by Kathy that the budget remain at $10k and that Travel Grants committee has authority to allocate those funds as they see fit. Seconded by Josh Stewart and carried by a majority of Council.

LCA2015 bid submission update

Drupal South
Had to move venues due to earthquake damage to conference venue.
ACTION: Josh Hesketh to follow up to ensure the event is not placed at risk due to damage to the conference venue.

Drupal Gov
ACTION: Josh Hesketh to contact LEANNE SHORB for post event wrap-up
http://lanyrd.com/2013/drupalgov/schedule/
(Leanne to send update once invoices paid)

Joomla Day Sydney

Open Food Web

WordCamp Melbourne - Dee Teal did provide Kathy an update, Kathy missed it and has resent it to Council.

Discussion around conference selection and continuation subcommittee (re OSDC exec etc).

Remaining teleconf meetings for the year
DECISION we will go ahead with a teleconf on Tuesday 17th

5. Items for noting

6. Other business

Malcolm Treddinick memorial prize

https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2013/nov/04/announcing-inaugural-winner-malcolm-tredinnick-mem/

7. In camera

Two matters were discussed in camera

Meeting closed at 0903hrs.