Minutes of Council Meeting 16 January 2014

Thu, 2014-01-16 19:46 - 20:29

Council Minutes Thursday 16th January 2014

MINUTES Council Meeting

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata
2. Log any correspondence for discussion or receipt
3. Review state of action items from previous meetings
4. Discuss starred items
5. Note any unstarred items
6. Other business

Meeting opened at 1946hrs by Mr Josh Hesketh

Present: Mr Josh Hesketh, Mr Francois Marier, Ms Kathy Reid, Mr Josh Stewart, Mr Christopher Neugebauer, Ms Sae Ra Germaine

Apologies: Mr Hugh Blemings

1. Confirm accuracy of previous minutes and note any omissions or errata.

Confirm that the accuracy of;

Minutes of 17 December

MOTION by Josh Hesketh that the minutes of 17 December are complete and accurate, seconded Francois, passed by a majority of Council with one abstention.

2. Log of correspondence

There have been 41 new members added since last meeting. Membership stands at 3089 according to MemberDB

Grant application from Papua New Guinea Open Source Community from ISAAC MANU
UPDATE: There has been some discussion on the linux-aus list regarding this grant request. The author has not yet responded. Kathy confirmed that Isaac is now a registered member of LA. Awaiting further information from ISAAC MANU.

Feedback from BRENDAN MOLLOY regarding Gender field on Membership sign up form
UPDATE: Kathy has responded, indicating that we are planning on doing work on MemberDB in 2014. A requirements doc has been started for MemberDB to list the enhancements we would like to see in the product. They are written as Agile stories.
ACTION: Council to review doc before face to face, deferred to face to face for discussion

Grant request from NAT TORKINGTON for KangaFoo
FOR DISCUSSION and DECISION on grant request
UPDATE: This was discussed at length at Council 2013 at linux.conf.au in Perth, considering many factors relevant to the situation. Approval of this grant will be in large part dependent on the budget situation.
DEFERRED until budget has been reviewed and budget position for 2014 is clearer.

Feedback received from JANET REID regarding proposed budget
FOR DISCUSSION and INPUT into budget
Feedback noted with thanks,

ACTION: Josh Hesketh to respond directly to JANET after further budget discussions

Moderators for debian list on lists.linux.org.au
AWAITING notification of new moderators

Change of Planet feed request from SONIA HAMILTON
UPDATE: Sent to admin team for action, currently IN PROGRESS

GCLUG current status report from STEVE DALTON
FOR DISCUSSION on GCLUG becoming Subcommittee of LA

Council briefly discussed this, and noted the need for a proforma for this sort of request. It was noted that there is some information on the website around becoming a subcommittee. It was noted this page could be updated with the insurance policy so LUGs thinking of becoming subcommittees could evaluate whether this path is right for them.
http://linux.org.au/linux-australia-event-support

DEFERRED for discussion at next Council meeting

Request for mirror distribution for MANJARO distro from RINGO de KROON
UPDATE: Awaiting feedback from Mirror team, IN PROGRESS

Offer of assistance from ALEC SLOMAN
Council noted Alec’s kind offer of assistance.

ACTION: Kathy to laiise with Alec, introduce to Media Subcommittee

Videos from other events getting uploaded to YouTube raised by STEPHEN WALSH at AGM
FOR DISCUSSION and DECISION on next steps

Question from Mr STEPHEN WALSH noting that the Mirror Team maintain a mirror of Debian, Ubuntu and other distributions and videos of linux.conf.au, and given this should Linux Australia pursue uploading of videos when outsourced to a third party and not the committee

Mr HESKETH responded that he would prefer all videos uploaded from conferences to the mirrors. He noted that as a community we help people who are doing open source things who don’t have as many skills. For example, WordCamp don’t have the tech skills to do video and might choose to outsource to a third party. Mr HESKETH indicated that the question required further consideration, as different conferences and events have different requirements.

ACTION: Ms KATHY REID took back an action to have this tabled as a discussion point at a future Council meeting.

UPDATE: Chris is following up the last two years’ Pycon AU teams about getting videos uploaded to the mirror.

It was discussed that we will need to liaise with conferences/subcommittees in the future and have upload of videos to the LA mirror as a condition of being umbrella’d by Linux Australia.

ACTION: Chris to check with RYAN VERNER to see if we can get Pycon AU and Drupal DownUnder videos into the mirror

ACTION: Josh H to follow up Dee Teal regarding the WordCamp videos.

REQUEST from SHANE COUGHLAN from the OPEN INNOVATION NETWORK for Clinton is seeking information from our legal sources.
UPDATE: Kathy has responded to advise we are seeking legal advice.

DEFERRED to Council Face to Face for discussion as it is a complex issue.

Offer of assistance with anti Trans Pacific Partnership agreement activities from PAUL GARDNER-STEPHEN
Council DISCUSSED the submission. Once something is drafted, Josh Stewart will send to members to get their support / endorsement, and if there is consensus, LA Council will endorse the submission.

3. Review of action items from previous meetings

(Refer Trello for action items and please update current status before meeting)

See

4. Items for discussion

Current budget status

Council DECIDED that final figures from Perth LCA2014 would be awaited before determining a final budget, and will consider the draft budget put forward by Francois during the next few days. Further decision DEFERRED until next meeting 28th January.

Organising Face to Face
Francois has sent around a sign up sheet to find the best weekend.
FOR DECISION on best weekend for Face to Face

DEFERRED until budget position is better known

Council Induction for Sae Ra and Chris

What’s still outstanding?

Wiki access

Website access

IRC access

Mailing list access

Google docs access
Induction complete, no further action required

LCA2014 closure activities

Invoice for Blue Hackers psychologist

Awaiting further information, no invoice received yet
Require clarification on whose budget it was coming out of, we currently believe it is currently coming out of LA rather than LCA.
ACTION: Josh Hesketh to chat to Arjen and Clinton

ACTION: Kathy to note for discussion on expenditure process at Face to Face

LCA2015 update

Cherie Ellis has provided mage for website

ACTION: Josh H to update the Linux.org.au website

PyconAU update

Sponsorship requests have gone to 80% of last year’s sponsors, but no accepts yet

Drupal South
ACTION: Josh to make contact with Josh Waihi touch base

ACTION: Kathy to make contact with Donna Benjamin regarding how LA can assist with promotional efforts

Drupal Gov
ACTION: Josh Hesketh to contact LEANNE SHORB for post event wrap-up
http://lanyrd.com/2013/drupalgov/schedule/
(Leanne to send update once invoices paid)

Discussion around conference selection and continuation subcommittee (re OSDC exec etc).

DEFERRED to Face to Face

5. Items for noting

Nil

6. Other business

Nil

7. In camera

Two items were discussed in camera and are not made public at this time.